I'd like to blog about this really crucial proposal and introduce the
arguments from both sides to other developers. I'm sure others, more in
touch with the subject already have, but the more info out there the
better, as this will have a huge effect on everybody.

I have a few questions:

- Why does Web Crypto in Chrome depend on https? Transmitting the user's
public key over http is how public keys are supposed to be used, in the
open. I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to transmit the
user's private key (if that's even technically possible... have yet to read
about the extractable property and how that works)

- (dependent on the above) Why couldn't the web move to client side
encryption where users would send their public key to the app they're using
ad the app sends its public key to the users, to allow encryption of
contents (maybe selective) if request and response?

- what happens when my employer becomes a CA and has a Web gateway for
https traffic? They can see the contents of my gmail, facebook, bank
account and everything else including communication with a lawyer etc
that's normally protected. By the way, I do know several employers who are
able to monitor https traffic going over their networks (including vpn for
remote workers) So basically, https doesn't help protect a user's privacy
in such case, but Web Crypto could, but it needs to be used on both ends,
and I feel we need to push for that instead of https which is open to
snooping by employers and in a more damaging way by state actors. Employers
becoming CAs and sniffing https traffic is not a theory. I know of a few
doing it, but can't disclose freely.

If someone can help me get over this and see the "light" I'll be most
appreciative.

Marc