From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 22:54:14 -0500
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Chris Palmer <palmer@google.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
 From the start everyone has acknowledged formally and informally Tim's
preference to delegate much but not all of his TAG chairing responsibility
and authority to one or more other members of the TAG. These others have
traditionally been treated as full chairs from a process point of view,
participating in the chairs' mailing list, representing the TAG when chairs
are required, reporting to the membership, etc.

The TAG's home page [1] somewhat amusingly describes the TAG as follows:

The TAG has 9 participants (5 elected, 3 appointed, and 1 chair) plus a
staff contact:

     Tim Berners-Lee (W3C) (Chair)
     Daniel Appelquist (Telefónica) (Chair)1
     Domenic Denicola (Google)4
     David Herman (Mozilla Foundation)1
     Yehuda Katz (jQuery Foundation)2
     Sergey Konstantinov (Yandex)3
     Yves Lafon (W3C) (staff contact)
     Peter Linss (HP) (Chair)1
     Mark Nottingham (Akamai)4
     Jeni Tennison (ODI)2

So it includes one chair, but three chairs are named.

Everyone seems to have handled this without undue confusion for a long
time. Resolving this seems to me desirable in principle, but in practice
not the least bit urgent.

Former "chair" of the TAG

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/