Re: WebIDL v1 vs. v2

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 13:19:10 -0500
To: Domenic Denicola <d@domenic.me>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 12/03/2014 12:14 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> As do I of course, unless mitigated by measures such as
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2014Nov/0175.html.

I'll note my disagreement:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2014Nov/0176.html

On 12/03/2014 12:22 PM, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> From: annevankesteren@gmail.com [mailto:annevankesteren@gmail.com] On
> Behalf Of Anne van Kesteren
>
>> Domenic, you make valid points. But they apply even more to
>> something like HTML5, heralded as some achievement and stable
>> reference, but fundamentally a year old fork from HTML with lots of
>> bugs. Or to XMLHttpRequest which some are advocating should still
>> be published without Fetch refactoring. There's a fundamental
>> mismatch in what people think matters.
>
> I of course agree personally, but have no ambitions of getting the
> TAG as a whole to agree to the larger point.

I think it would be good to discuss the larger point.  And like I did
with WebApps, I would suggest that the discussion be anchored by a focus
on exit criteria.

Where I personally see that discussion ending up is that specs should be
more modular.  I personally see no reason why content that is split out
of the "kitchen sink" WHATWG HTML LS couldn't be directly reference-able
by W3C specs.

A prime example of the would be the URL Standard, which at one time was
a part of HTML.

> However, for this particular case, I think the TAG's mission gives us
> a pretty clear pointer toward what's better for web architecture,
> especially given the cross-cutting consequences of WebIDL and our
> work with it. I don't think we necessarily need to come to agreement
> on the larger issue---and certainly not on specific cases like HTML5
> or XHR---before we can weigh in on WebIDL.

I suggested that WebApps focus the discussion on exit criteria, I will
now suggest that the TAG do likewise.

- Sam Ruby