Re: First Draft of W3C version of URL Spec

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 08:11:53 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
On 2014-08-28 18:04, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Daniel Appelquist wrote:
>>
>> As you might know, the new charter for webapps includes a new version
>> of the URL spec. I am acting as editor of this spec.
>
> What's the purpose of the W3C republishing this spec?

"W3C-specific note: This specification documents current RFC 3986 and
RFC 3987 handling in contemporary Web browser implementations. As a
consequence, this specification is not compatible with those RFCs. It is
published for the purpose of providing a stable reference for the HTML5
specification and reflecting current Web browser HTML5 implementations.
The W3C Technical Architecture Group expects to continue the work on the
URL specification and produce a future version that will attempt to
re-align the URL specification with an updated version of RFC 3986 while
preserving interoperability."

Best regards, Julian