Re: The ability to automatically upgrade a reference to HTTPS from HTTP

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:29:21 -0400
To: jose.kahan@w3.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
CC: Public TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, SW-forum Web <semantic-web@w3.org>

On 8/27/2014 7:17 AM, jose wrote:
> * Caching / MIM
>
> It would be good that the browser knows this so that it caches only once
> the resource.

Again, my intuition is that the bigger architectural impact is caching at
intermediaries. If this is a good idea at all (unconvinced), then both
endpoints are aware of the aliasing, and as you say a browser could unify
the caching for the two names. Proxy caches don't get https traffic in the
clear, so I presume they can't cache it at all, right?

Noah