Re: Link rot in Supreme Court decisions

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013, Larry Masinter wrote:

> to archive documents for a long time, you need more than just link
> stability. You need document formats designed for archive, and you need a
> storage system that can guarantee integrity for the lifetime of the
> information archived.
>
> My take on this was http://larry.masinter.net/0603-archiving.pdf -- your
> answers might be different but the questions remain.

There's a large international community working on those problems under the
umbrella "digital preservation". See e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_preservation

The document I shared does not claim it solves long term archiving of
documents. It focuses on a single problem that people in certain pockets of
the web are increasingly concerned about: link stability.

Cheers

Herbert

--
Herbert Van de Sompel