Re: Split Browsers on the Rise?

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Appelquist Daniel (UK) <
Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com> wrote:

> I note that Google are rolling out a "split browser" for mobile Chrome
> with a proxy that can (using SPDY) proxy and compress all traffic:
>
> http://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/data-compression
> <https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/data-compression>
>
> We've discussed split browsers before specifically around the SPDY topic.
> Does it make sense to discuss this topic again, considering the rise of
> this approach?  I can think of 4 browsers out there that are splitting the
> processing in different ways between the client (device) and some kind of
> proxy:
>
> * Opera Mini (what's going on with this in light of Opera's move to
> Chromium?)
> * Amazon Silk
> * Nokia Xpress browser (on Nokia Asha phones)
> * now Google Chrome for IOS / Android

Chrome's feature is closer to the one of the old-skool carrier proxies: it
doesn't do any server-rendering, but does transform content and the
HTTP-layer transport. There are several different species of these things
and I think it's worth differentiating.