Split Browsers on the Rise?

From: Appelquist Daniel (UK) <Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:28:11 +0100
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
I note that Google are rolling out a "split browser" for mobile Chrome
with a proxy that can (using SPDY) proxy and compress all traffic:

http://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/data-compression

<https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/data-compression>

We've discussed split browsers before specifically around the SPDY topic.
Does it make sense to discuss this topic again, considering the rise of
this approach?  I can think of 4 browsers out there that are splitting the
processing in different ways between the client (device) and some kind of
proxy:

* Opera Mini (what's going on with this in light of Opera's move to
Chromium?)
* Amazon Silk
* Nokia Xpress browser (on Nokia Asha phones)
* now Google Chrome for IOS / Android

...so maybe this is something TAG needs to think about and offer some
guidance on...?

Dan