Re: [Json] BOMs

* John Cowan wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann scripsit:
>
>> Is there any chance, by the way, to change `JSON.stringify` so it does
>> not output strings that cannot be encoded using UTF-8? Specifically,
>>
>>   JSON.stringify(JSON.parse("\"\uD800\""))
>>
>> would need to escape the surrogate instead of emitting it literally.
>
>No, there isn't.  We've been down this road repeatedly.  People can and
>do use JSON strings to encode arbitrary sequences of unsigned 16-bit integers.

The output of JSON.stringify("\uD800") contains no backslash character,
if you call `utf8_encode(JSON.stringify("\uD800"))` you get an exception
because UTF-8 cannot encode the lone surrogate and `utf8_encode` does
not know it could encode it as `\uD800` without loss of information. If
`JSON.stringify` produced an escape sequence instead, there would be no
problem passing the output to `utf8_encode`.