Re: CFC, app: URI scheme

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
> Only architectural question I had right now is if this should be layered on top of fetch [1]. I guess it depends if the class of application that the app:// uri scheme is used with is considered part of the web platform.
>
> [1] http://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/

The web platform works on URLs that are universal. So e.g. http/https
works due to DNS. A still-somewhat-theoretical p2p might work due to a
universal content identifier. The application you are referring to
however cannot be addressed by either of these. Rather, to get it you
need to go through a "store" and download a "trusted" blob. That's
very different from what the web platform stands for.

Or in other words, you are designing a proprietary walled garden
system around web technology. And that's fine, but the web platform
should aspire to higher goals.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/