Re: Polyglot: the final thread?

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:23:01 +0100
To: "Larry Masinter" <masinter@adobe.com>, "Noah Mendelsohn" <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org>, "Alex Russell" <slightlyoff@google.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@jenitennison.com>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Yandex hat on...

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:15:46 +0100, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>

> (chair hat on)
> Larry, I have added your e-mail [1] to the background reading for F2F
> discussion of polyglot [2] .
> (TAG member hat on)
> I find Larry's note to be well reasoned and to the point, and in general
> I agree with it. There is a point I would add. It's been mentioned
> before, but not in Larry's note:
> * One important use for specifications like polyglot is for reference by
> other specifications. The referring specifications might be open
> standards, but might also be for use within an organization or
> corporation.

> As I understand one of the arguments against a Polyglot recommendation
> it's: "look, this is more or less happening anyway...the ability to do
> polyglot is an emergent property of the HTML5 Recommendation". I.e. if
> you want to write polyglot, nobody's stopping you.
> What I want in addition is to reference the rules for doing Polyglot
> from another spec. I want to have, e.g., a vertical standards
> organization or corporation write their own specs saying: "Web documents
> published for use in the [dental, construction, ACME Corp, ... ]
> community MUST include the markup specified here, and must additionally
> be conforming polyglot HTML/XML documents as specified in [POLYGLOTREC]."

Yep. I'd like to have that. I agree it is basically an emergent property,
but it is not as obvious as it might seem, and having the people who
understand best what is emerging would be helpful.

> You could imagine, for example, the ATOM folks considering a formal
> reference to polyglot had a polyglot spec been available at the time.

I can imagine people, who find working in english a major barrier to
participation, referring to whatever spec they find and understand easily.
Which is a good reason for W3C to write good ones about its technology.

> For me, this is an important reason to have a formal polyglot
> specification suitable for normative reference.

That said, if the HTML group is doing the work of building a spec for its
technology, I think the TAG should say "thank you, call us if you think we
can help", and then get on with all the other things it could usefully do.