Re: Polyglot: the final thread?

(chair hat on)

Larry, I have added your e-mail [1] to the background reading for F2F
discussion of polyglot [2] .

(TAG member hat on)

I find Larry's note to be well reasoned and to the point, and in general I
agree with it. There is a point I would add. It's been mentioned before,
but not in Larry's note:

* One important use for specifications like polyglot is for reference by
other specifications. The referring specifications might be open standards,
but might also be for use within an organization or corporation.

As I understand one of the arguments against a Polyglot recommendation
it's: "look, this is more or less happening anyway...the ability to do
polyglot is an emergent property of the HTML5 Recommendation". I.e. if you
want to write polyglot, nobody's stopping you.

What I want in addition is to reference the rules for doing Polyglot from
another spec. I want to have, e.g., a vertical standards organization or
corporation write their own specs saying: "Web documents published for use
in the [dental, construction, ACME Corp, ... ] community MUST include the
markup specified here, and must additionally be conforming polyglot
HTML/XML documents as specified in [POLYGLOTREC]."

You could imagine, for example, the ATOM folks considering a formal
reference to polyglot had a polyglot spec been available at the time.

For me, this is an important reason to have a formal polyglot specification
suitable for normative reference.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Mar/0082.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/03/18-agenda.html#polyglot