Re: DOM, Promises, and licensing

On 7/12/2013 3:52 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org
> <mailto:jeff@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/12/2013 2:16 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
>>     I think this is all misdirection from the core question:
>>
>>     Jeff: did you express that view to Anne?
>
>     I'm not sure I understand which view you are talking about.  I've
>     certainly expressed the view that the W3C Document License does
>     not permit forking.  Is that what you are asking?
>

> To quote Anne:
>
> "...per your understanding of the W3C Member Agreement I could not be
> a Member of the W3C WebApps WG, push snapshots to TR/, while
> simultaneously edit http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/ This generalizes to
> other documents I work
> on as I understand it."
>
> This would have several follow-ons if it's accurate:
>
>  1. Why do you believe that the WHATWG document is a fork in any way
>     from the W3C document?

DOM was started prior to my joining W3C, but I'm told that DOM was
originally done at W3C.  Assuming that is true, then the WHAT WG
document is likely a fork, although I have not personally examined the spec.

>  1. If it can be shown not to be, do you drop your objection (assuming
>     you do object)?

Well this is a complex question which is probably best left for advice
from attorneys.  But let's accept your assumption that it can be shown
not to be a fork.  As I understand it, even if the current version is
not a fork, if a later version includes IP contributed by W3C Members
then that later version might be a fork.

>  1. Do you accept that if drafts are published at the WHATWG first and
>     are then copied into W3C documents that this does not constitute
>     any sort of "forking" or creation of a derivative on the part of
>     the member doing this?

I don't think I agree; maybe I just don't understand.  If the WHATWG
publishes a document and then it is copied into a W3C document that
represents a fork of the WHATWG document.  Given the license used at
WHATWG the forking is permitted, but it is still a fork.

> The point you make about the W3C license might not even be apropos
> depending on your responses to the above.
>
>>     And is it not based on an /opinion/ of the policies in effect
>>     with regards to derivitive works in this area? Is it really
>>     necessary to ask the AC to change the Team's opinion on this?
>
>     Again, don't understand.  It is not an opinion that our current
>     license does not permit forking.
>

> It is the opinion of W3C lawyers /*if/how Anne's actions would
> constitute forking* /which is under discussion.

Sure, but Anne's note seems to say that he doesn't work on anything that
does not permit forking - which - for better or for worse - is not
possible in W3C until we get the new HTML Charter.  W3C lawyers cannot
give an opinion that a fork is not a fork.