Re: Scope of W3C recommendations; core issue for polyglot & DRM

David,

On 01/28/2013 01:45 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> I wrote about
> this previously athttp://dbaron.org/log/2006-08#e20060818a  .

I think you describe the situation very well - the tension between
technologies developed for non-browser cases versus those developed for
browsers.

Is this tension something that must be explicitly resolved, however?
Personally, I don't think we need to "solve" this in order for the Web
to continue to succeed.

I agree very much with your conclusions, which I paste here below:

"It's time for the Web browser community to stop using up its resources
attacking specifications that we're not interested in implementing. One
of the reasons there's been so little advancement of the standards used
in Web browsers is that we've been spending most of our standardization
work fighting against the proposals of others—proposals that don't fit
with the Web, or working to improve proposals by others that aren't the
top priorities for authors and users of the Web. We should work on, and
implement, the standards that we think are appropriate for Web browsers,
and ignore the rest. We should spend our time improving what Web
developers and users want, not waste our time improving what is less
important or criticizing what isn't going to work in the first place.
That requires considering what's important at a high level before
delving in—something that isn't always easy, and is easily forgotten.
But we should spend the effort so that we work on what matters."

Regards,

JohnK