Re: NU’s polyglot possibilities (Was: The non-polyglot elephant in the room)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM, David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> slightlyoff@google.com>

> documents
> >>
> >> "People who wish to consume a set of documents known to simultaneously
> >> be in multiple equivalent encodings only need one of several
> >> decoders."
> >>
> >> That doesn't appear tautological to me. Check your cardinality. The
> >> Axiom of Choice comes to mind.
> >
> > It appears to me that you've skipped a step ahead of answering my
> question
> > and are dismissing it on an assumption I'm not making (hence you think
> it's
> > not a tautology).
>
> Let us find our common misunderstanding and resolve it.
>
> > You posit a group of consumers who have one preference or another (a hard
> > preference, at that) and wish me to treat this binary-seprable group as
> > uniform. You then posit a producer who would like to address this group
> of
> > consumers. You further wish me (AFAICT) wish me to assume that these
> > demanding consumers are fully aware of the polyglot nature of the
> producer's
> > content through unspecified means.
>
> Suppose you are publishing technical documentation. You already have a
> toolchain constructed to ensure very specific invariants on your
> output documents. Your consumers are savvy and may wish to script
> against your documentation. You perceive that for a small cost
> (reading polyglot spec and tweaking to emit it), you can simplify
> consumption for your user base.

This works with a single producer and consumer who have a fixed contract.
That's sort of the definition of a closed system...and it's not the web.
Why aren't they just publishing as one or the other? And if the tweaks are
so small (but necessary), why isn't this a job for software? Consumers who
want to process more than a single producer's content either have to:

   1. Have a reliable way to know that what they consume isn't going to be
   broken (as HTML in XML parsing is)
   2. Have a way of consuming a superset of any individual publisher's
   formats

Either work, but polyglot precludes #1 on the basis that #2 shouldn't have
to happen, against all the evidence of how this sort of thing is sorted out
every day by real world software.

> > What I'm asking is this: does this happen in the real world?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Under what circumstances?
>
> Structured document repositories
> Legal case files
> Digital archives
> Database views
> Email repositories
> Software specifications
> Anything projecting well-defined data structures into HTML

So "programs writing programs for programs".

> > How frequently?
>
> Every time a programmatic producer wishes to serve an XML consumer and
> an HTML consumer with fewer special cases.
>
> > On the open web (where I expect that the
> > contract about what is and isn't XML are even more important), or inside
> > closed systems and organizations?
>
> When you publicly publish something and declare your intent, you are
> on the "open web".

I think you'll struggle to get most W3C members to accept that definition.

>  > I don't see that the TAG has any duty to the latter, so it's an honest
> question.
>
> Even "closed" systems export data and use off-the-shelf browsers.
> Furthermore, many of these "closed" systems will be opening up in the
> future. The TAG has a responsibility to guide publishers and
> implementors who wish to support W3C standard formats in their systems
> that do or may interact with the web.

Our job is not to sell the web to a possible new audience -- it doesn't
need our help and we're the last group I can imagine being effective as
salespeople -- it's to help publishers understand how the rules work so
that they can join it and to help spec authors make sure the rules are sane
in the long-run.

> > My personal experience leads me away from assuming that this is common.
>
> Mine as well. I didn't realize that only the most common case deserves
> attention. What is your threshold for consideration?
>
> > I'm looking for countering evidence in order to be able to form an
> informed
> > opinion. So the question is open (ISTM): who are the consumers that do
> not
> > adapt to publishers?
>
> Why cannot publishers decide to publish content with maximal compatibility?

Why can't I publish a binary stream of bytes that's both a PNG and a BMP?

I'm honestly trying to understand the real-world harm in giving up on
polyglot. So far I don't sense that there's much to be lost that can't be
easily won again through common and well-understood strategies -- the sorts
of things that browsers and all sorts of other off-the-shelf software
already do.

> If niche publishers assume that consumers will adapt, they may find
> that the hassle of adaptation has hurt their reach.

What hassle? Seriously, if you're consuming from a single fixed producer
*you know what you're getting* and can build your software accordingly.
>From the producer's side, of course you're going to publish for the maximum
reach and capability *across the existing population of consumers*. If
transcoding is needed and can be automated (which it can here)...why is
this an issue?

> If it costs a publisher 1 hour of labor to tweak their systems to
> output polyglot and this offers their consumers access to a new
> ecosystem of tools and libraries, is it not worth it?

If they could spend that hour slotting in a transcoder that publishes in
the other one, addressing that same new market, is it not worth it?

> Should each consumer adapt individually? Should the producer generate
> and disseminate 2x the documents for XML vs. HTML consumers? A subset
> of the syntax and semantics are provably compatible.
>
> Suppose a niche publisher has 10 consumers. It costs the publisher k
> to ensure polyglot invariants on their product. It costs each consumer
> in excess of k to wire together a lenient parser. How is that
> efficient?
>
> I don't understand: how does polyglot burden you?

That's the the bar to be met. The question is: what's the value to the web
of demanding that we add it as a constraint on the development of HTML?

> How is it
> detrimental? If there is detriment, does it exceed the harmless desire
> of some producers to produce maximally compatible content?
>
> > I observe many consumers that adapt and few producers who do
> (particularly
> > granted the time-shifted nature of produced content and the availability
> of
> > more transistors every year).
>
> And so we must reinforce the status quo by vetoing publication of
> guidelines for maximal compatibility?

I'm not saying what i *wish* would happen, I'm saying this *does* happen
over and above the objections of system authors who loathe the additional
complexity and all the rest.

> >> 1. Smaller library dependency in software consumers
> >
> > But evidence suggests that valuable content is transformed by eager
> > producers, not rejected. Consuming code that yields more value (can
> consume
> > more content) does better in the market.
>
> A significant fraction of consuming code is not on the market.
>
> > How is the value manifested for users of this code?
>
> Invariants are preserved and can be relied on.
>
> Interpreted languages typically provide invariants regarding machine
> security that native executables do not. Declarative representations
> provide invariants regarding interpretation (termination) that
> imperative representations do not.
>
> Likewise, adherence to XML's syntax provides guarantees that
> interpretability by an HTML parser does not. This guarantee has value
> for consumers in the form of broader choice and faster time to
> construct consuming software.

So this is about welcoming our XML overlords?

I think that ship sailed (and sank).