Problems producing polyglot (Was: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 00:31:12 +0100
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
Daniel Glazman, Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:37:57 +0100:
> On 22/01/13 09:16, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Anyway, this is not the point. The point is making sure an app is able
> to serialize correctly the following:
>
>   - xhtml 1 or 1.1
>   - html5, xml serialization, not poyglot
>   - html5, xml serialization, polyglot
>
> I can make the difference between the first and the two last ones based
> on the doctype and friends. I am unable to make any difference between
> the two last ones.

How about simply check that the page is UTF-8 encoded and - regardless
of the XHTML variant, always remove the XML declaration what that is
the case?

Because, clearly, the principles found in Polyglot Markup can - and
should - be applied to XHTML1 as well. For instance there is no
agreement amongst text/html parsers with regard to whether they use the
XML declaration in order to detect the encoding. Some parsers do and
some don't. Thus, there should be a XML declaration in XHTML1.x docs
either.
--
leif halvard silli