Re: Highlighting issue of XML support in DOM 4

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 14:49:14 +0000
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag\@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>, Norm Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Henri Sivonen writes:

> I think the TAG should not push for change in this case. The XML
> declaration is not part of the logical content of the document. It is
> a serialization artifact. After the parsing phase, applications should
> not alter their treatment of an XML document based on what was in the
> XML declaration. In that sense, the stuff from the XML declaration
> does not belong in the data model.

Unlike quote style or intra-tag whitespace, the xml declaration _is_
is part of the information content of an XML document: the XML Infoset
spec. [1] defines relevant properties for the Document infoitem.  The
XML DOM should implement the Infoset spec.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.document
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk