W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > February 2013

Draft minutes from TAG Teleconference of 28 Feb 2013

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:41:06 -0500
Message-ID: <512FB2D2.8060204@arcanedomain.com>
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Unreviewed draft minutes of today's TAG teleconference are at [1], and in 
text-only form below. Thank you.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-minutes

=======================================================

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                    TAG Teleconference of 28 Feb 2013

28 Feb 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-agenda

Attendees

    Present
           Henry Thompson, Peter Linss, Anne van Kesteren, Yehuda
           Katz, Noah Mendelsohn, Jeni Tennison, Marcos Caceres

    Regrets: Tim Berners-Lee, Yves Lafon, Alex Russell

    Chair: Noah Mendelsohn
    Scribe
           Noah Mendelsohn

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]approval of minutes
          2. [5]admin
          3. [6]F2F Planning
      * [7]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe> scribenick: noah

    <scribe> scribe: Noah Mendelsohn

    date: 28 Feb 2013

approval of minutes

    [8]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/14-minutes

       [8] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/14-minutes

    <wycats_> no objection

    RESOLUTION: Minutes of 14 Feb
    [9]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/14-minutes are approved

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/14-minutes

admin

    The TAG teleconference of 7 March is cancelled (note, we later
    changed our minds...call is not cancelled for now)

    <annevk> FWIW, WebApps does async-decision making via call for
    consensus on the mailing list.

    <wycats_> there are tools to handle this

    <wycats_> sounds good

    Never mind, there will (tentatively) be a call next week...at
    least we'll hold the time in case we need it.

    [10]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-agenda#f2f

      [10] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-agenda#f2f

F2F Planning

    [11]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-agenda#f2f

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/02/28-agenda#f2f

    <Zakim> ht, you wanted to say yes

    <JeniT> yes

    <JeniT>
    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Feb/0066.ht
    ml

      [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Feb/0066.html

    <wycats_> I don't see any email like that

    <JeniT> wycats_: I just gave the link to it

    <ht> I would like to do one shot on persistence

    [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/

    ACTION-776?

    <trackbot> ACTION-776 -- Ashok Malhotra to with help from Larry
    to redraft Publishing and Linking, responding to comments, for
    review at F2F -- due 2013-01-10 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/776

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/776

    ACTION-779?

    <trackbot> ACTION-779 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule F2F
    discussion of whether and how to pursue Publishing and Linking
    -- due 2013-03-01 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/779

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/779

    ACTION-784?

    <trackbot> ACTION-784 -- Alex Russell to with help from Yehuda
    to frame F2F discussion of layering -- due 2013-03-04 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/784

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/784

    [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/01/24-minutes.html#item06

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/01/24-minutes.html#item06

    >> <noah> NM: Notes that Yehuda and Alex favor discussing the
    DOM at the F2F

    NM: Remind me what this is please?

    <annevk> Also: When Alex says DOM he means all APIs not defined
    by TC39, which is a slightly wider definition of DOM than in
    use by W3C.

    YK: I think this is how groups should use DOM...will follow up
    with Alex.

    ACTION-774?

    <trackbot> ACTION-774 -- Peter Linss to frame F2F discussion of
    Privacy by design note, and possible followup up with privacy
    group. Due: 2013-01-08 -- due 2012-12-20 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/774

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/774

    I think this was overtaken by events?

    Ashok sent a note to the privacy group.

    close ACTION-774

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-774 Frame F2F discussion of Privacy by
    design note, and possible followup up with privacy group. Due:
    2013-01-08.

    ACTION-785?

    <trackbot> ACTION-785 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule discussion
    of developer involvement/outreach at F2F -- due 2013-03-04 --
    OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/785

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/785

    NM: Marcos, would you like to frame this one?

    MC: Hard to do now, we'd need consensus on who audience is for
    TAG materials. Traditionally it's been W3C.

    NM: Hmm. I don't think that's how we've seen it.

    <wycats_> I think he means people who are extremely familiar
    with the standards process

    MC: Seems to me that TAG mailing list has been "usual suspects"
    for many years. It's effectively a W3C community.
    ... We need to branch out more to developer relations
    community.

    <wycats_> I am interested in discussing whether we think this
    is a good role for TAG or whether there are other groups in the
    W3C that can help with this

    <annevk> Does the average developer even know about the TAG?

    <JeniT> I am interested in having F2F time to discuss how we do
    better developer outreach

    <annevk> With the elections most of my friends were like wut?!

    <wycats_> noah: I think it's possible that there may be
    controversy over how much of a direct role TAG should take in
    the developer outreach

    <wycats_> as opposed to the TAG thinking about ways to make the
    W3C as a whole more effective at it

    <_noah> Yehuda, if you're trying to paraphrase me, that's not
    my position at all. I'm totally in favor of more outreach. I'm
    giving a heads up that we've sometimes struggled with
    logistics. E.g. several proposals to co-locate w/developer
    conferences failed because nobody would buy us a meeting room

    NM: What can we actually do at the meeting?

    MC: A lot depends on working on things that matter.

    <wycats_> it sounds like an open discussion item

    <JeniT> unstructured discussion is better than nothing

    NM: How to prep F2F?

    MC: I think working on the right items is critical. No
    particular ideas on F2F prep.

    <wycats_> this sounds like the discussion we should be having
    f2f

    NM: OK, we'll just pick it up at F2F

    ACTION-782?

    <trackbot> ACTION-782 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule F2F
    discussion of polyglot, the TAG's request to HTML WG on
    polygot, and HTML/XML Unification -- due 2013-03-01 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/782

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/782

    <wycats_> noah: one item I don't see on here is coordination
    with ECMA

    <wycats_> and TC39

    <wycats_> sounds good to me

    NM: Does anyone want to frame a balanced intro to this one?

    AVK: Hasn't everything been said on the mailing list?

    <wycats_> I would like to discuss that

    <wycats_> JeniT: indeed

    <wycats_> I believe that we need f2f time to discuss changing
    the official stance of TAG

    <wycats_> that is the agenda item

    NM: I assumed people wanted to discuss having the TAG change
    it's position.

    Minutes of discussion leading to ACTION:
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/01/24-minutes.html#item10

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/01/24-minutes.html#item10

    NM: The F2F discussion was requested on 24 January
    ... by Yehuda

    YK: Yes, I think we need to get "old" and "new" TAG members in
    sync

    <ht> I have not had the time to assemble a satisfactory email
    on Polyglot, but would like to participate in a f2f discussion

    <ht> yes please

    HT: Try to schedule polyglot when I can call

    <JeniT> I agree that there's probably a core disagreement here,
    and we should try to get down to it

    <plinss> zakim. this is tag

    <JeniT> slightlylate has been researching it

    <JeniT> so perhaps he would be in a good position to do some
    prep

    NM: OK, I'll take this offline, will check with Alex, Yehuda
    and Henry among others

    ACTION-781?

    <trackbot> ACTION-781 -- Jeni Tennison to prepare reading and
    discussion on Defining URIS (ISSUE-57) for March F2F -- due
    2013-03-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/781

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/781

    JT: Will have something for the F2F.

    ACTION-786?

    <trackbot> ACTION-786 -- Marcos Caceres to frame, with help
    from Alex, discussion of Javascript API Design Issues for F2F
    -- due 2013-03-04 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/786

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/786

    NM: I know your attendance is at risk, but even if you don't
    come, can you help me frame this.

    MC: Haven't reached Alex yet. Will chase him down and put
    something together.

    NM: Can you find someone to tell the story at the meeting
    please, since you and Alex may not be there?

    ACTION-787?

    <trackbot> ACTION-787 -- Alex Russell to solicit informal
    discussion on HTML WG list of clarifying: polyglot doesn't
    restrict html5 futures -- due 2013-02-25 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/787

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/787

    Brian Kardell sent this:
    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Jan/0121.ht
    ml

      [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Jan/0121.html

    YK: Brian is active in the community
    ... Should have an agenda item for communication with ECMA TC39
    ... I put together a presentation

    <scribe> ACTION: Yehuda to frame F2F discussion of liaison with
    ECMA TC39

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-788 - Frame F2F discussion of liaison
    with ECMA TC39 [on Yehuda Katz - due 2013-03-07].

    NM: Larry has similar issues relating to IETF

    <JeniT> thx

    <wycats_> great :)

    Tentatively call is on next week, at least until we see whether
    there's a need. If yes, then we'll need someone to chair in my
    place, else we will cancel. F2F is in 2+ weeks.

    ADJOURNED

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Yehuda to frame F2F discussion of liaison with
    ECMA TC39

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [26]scribe.perl version
     1.137 ([27]CVS log)
     $Date: 2013-02-28 19:38:34 $

      [26] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [27] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 28 February 2013 19:41:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 28 February 2013 19:41:36 GMT