Re: Revisiting Authoritative Metadata

On 25/02/2013 17:40 , John Kemp wrote:
> The reason that text/plain vs. text/html comes up so often is that it is
> a very clear description of one problem with sniffing - that the author
> intended the representation to be displayed as text without HTML
> interpretation.

I'd be less charitable. I think that this example keeps coming up
because proponents of authoritative metadata cannot think of any other
example :)

I'd be interested in being proven wrong though!

> Although I agree that metadata sent from the server is less
> authoritative than one would hope, I do not agree that a user-agent can
> even accurately represent the wishes of the user in this case, let alone
> comply with them.

Well, there's <plaintext> for that if you're sure that that's what you
want. For all the other cases it would seem that View Source can work.