Re: Revisiting Authoritative Metadata (was: The failure of Appendix C as a transition technique)

On 22/02/2013 10:42 , "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> If you/we were able to redesign the Web (or let's go a bit further and
> say "all of computer infrastructure"), then how would you get a browser
> to display any format with such a magic number,... as plain text? Many
> formats, HTML and XHTML included, are at the same time plain text.

In addition to Anne's explanation, I'll point out that this ability to
treat a format as if it were another is more easily a security risk than
a feature. If you can get a format interpreted one way with the media
type and then another when reloaded from disk you can get past some checks.

> But maybe you have a better idea?

<plaintext> works great.