Re: Polyglot markup and authors

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > Wouldn't the PG document serve such purpose?
>
> No, it lists many things you shouldn't worry about.

Yes, I should, as I've laid out an architecturally sound use-case for
polyglot.

> > Still, it doesn't matter for my example if the HTML parser is faster
> > than XML (which I've not noticed); the latency of sending all that
> > HTML templating with every request is still higher than caching it
> > in the browser as XSLT, and transforming XML on the fly.
>
> [citation needed]

Have you never administered a WordPress or vBulletin installation and
noticed that the HTML views are significantly more huge than the same
information when presented as RSS or Atom?  The redundant HTML present
in comment threads is just bloat, so I don't send it over the wire.

Or do you actually believe XSLT is slower than networking?  Nice pipe.

> > Also, given that my desktop CPU is twice as fast as that on my
> > server, putting the XSLT on the client reduces transformation
> > latency, not just CPU cycles on the server, in the event of a cache
> > miss.  Better user- perceived performance is the result for most
> > consumer CPUs.
>
> You realize on mobile this is not at all the case right?

You realize this is not at all the case *yet*, right?  Besides, the
tradeoff on mobile where there is more transform latency, is less
bandwidth utilization -- guess I'm not seeing the problem.

-Eric