Re: Current TAG election

On 30 December 2013 15:57, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to drop a note to  TAG and followers of this list...
>
> First, as a developer, I am personally very pleased by progress of TAG in
> the last year (less really since the transition and setting focus took a
> while).  I am especially pleased with the forward focus and continued
> involvement in the developer community and unofficial engagement of TAG
> members sparked by last year's electees.  Developers - at least a larger
> group of us now know what TAG is, what it's working on and what some
> members unofficially are interested in pursuing/applying officially - and
> at least from my view - TAG's review and coordination with other working
> groups (even other standards bodies) has been helpful in coordination of a
> more unified vision.
>
> In last year's elections, developers helped to campaign outside the normal
> channels - out in the open.  I think this has helped bring the voices of
> the larger developer community together and enabled those elected to not
> only do great work, but also to carry our collective voices across many
> forums where we have no official voice and developer participation is
> otherwise limited.
>
> I've posted an open letter to W3C members (especially ACs) as well as the
> community of Web developers at large regarding this  (
> https://medium.com/p/343857bf55ff).
> Please have a look at the case I make and, if possible, let's keep up the
> progress.

Agree with much of what you write.  However, I am unsure I would 100% go as
far as:

"Over time, we’ve collectively watched the W3C and, more generally,
standards become increasingly dysfunctional"

>From a developers perspective, I have found W3C standards to be on the
whole reasonable functional and to a high standard.

The addition of community groups in recent years, allows developers without
affiliation the ability to iterate rapidly and move towards
standardization.  IMHO, there have been lots of new features added to the
web in the last year, with tight feedback loops, as well as longer lasting
well thought out architecture.

>From an architecture point of view, one aspect that perhaps has been
dominant this year, is that the web has become increasingly centralized,
and in parallel, users have become increasingly more privacy aware.

Decentralization is one of the pillars of the web's architecture.  And in
2013 the web has drifted from this core value.  We cant rely solely on
Editor's and AR's to do all the heavy lifting when shaping the web.  I
welcome Tim's initiative on this front.

https://webwewant.org/

As developers we need to also do our part in creating the web we want.