Re: Draft for note to send to Push API editors/authors

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Konstantinov Sergey
> <twirl@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
> > In general, specifying push server <-> app server protocol is out of
> scope of Push API spec.
>
> I don't see why it would be really.

We can imagine the API being standardized and the transport iterating
underneath it. That's just good layering.

For instance, if some system decides to deliver push notifications from the
SMS baseband protocol, should we, as the web platform, decide that's a bad
thing for them to be doing? I say "no", not because I don't want full
specs, but because precluding opening this power to developers seems
foolhardy at the level of an API contract.

If we want to recommend that this WG open up a new effort to specify
transport and message formats, great. But their API doesn't require it. We
shouldn't either.

Regards