RE: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

I concur.  We use the IDNA2008 + TR46 behavior.

-Shawn

From: mark.edward.davis@gmail.com [mailto:mark.edward.davis@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis ?
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 10:32 AM
To: Anne van Kesteren
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre; public-iri@w3.org; uri@w3.org; www-tag.w3.org
Subject: Re: Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl<mailto:annevk@annevk.nl>> wrote:
As far as I can tell from implementations what it means is that the
NFKC normalization algorithm from Unicode is the one defined in the

Rather than promoting different, arbitrary modifications of IDNA2003, ​I would recommend instead using the TR46 specification, ​which provides a migration path from IDNA2003 to IDNA2008. It is, with some small exceptions, compatible with IDNA2003.

"To satisfy user expectations for mapping, and provide maximal compatibility with IDNA2003, this document specifies a mapping for use with IDNA2008. In addition, to transition more smoothly to IDNA2008, this document provides a Unicode algorithm for a standardized processing that allows conformant implementations to minimize the security and interoperability problems caused by the differences between IDNA2003 and IDNA2008. This Unicode IDNA Compatibility Processing is structured according to IDNA2003 principles, but extends those principles to Unicode 5.2 and later. It also incorporates the repertoire extensions provided by IDNA2008."

For more see http://unicode.org/reports/tr46/.

Mark<https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>

— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —