Re: TAG feedback on Web Audio

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> (Sorry, on vacation, and beach > Web Audio discussions. :)
>
> Alex, as we discussed a few weeks ago - glitch-free,
> reasonably-low-latency audio is something that I just don't believe JS - *as
> it is today - *can do.

In the TAG feedback document you might have detected two lines of attack on
this argument:

   1. It's insufficient to say "JavaScript can't do this". The entire goal
   of some of the suggestions in the document related to the execution model
   are all about creating space in the model to change the constraints under
   which JS (or something else) runs such that JS* *(or ASMJS or NaCL in a
   worker, etc.) *could* do what's needed without breaking the invariants
   of either the platform or the conceptual semantic model that Web Audio
   presents. So that's simply an argument against an assertion *that hasn't
   been presented*. It fails on that ground alone, however...
   2. Nothing in my argument against breaking the platform invariants
   requires that you actually RUN the built-in node types in JS. To some great
   degree, I'm advocating for JS-as-spec-language when I discuss de-sugaring.
   Not an implementation strategy (except perhaps in naive cases for
   newly-bootstrapping impls).

The net is that discussing main-thread-JS-as-we-know-it-today and not the
framework for execution/specification is arguing against an
implementation-level straw-man.

Regards