AppURL.org : 1. Pick a URL scheme

Re financials, AppURL is an initiative and not a separate
organization. AppURL.org is hosted by Quixey.

There should be no possibility of squatting because people can only
influence AppURL routing semantics for domains they own.

On Friday, August 2, 2013, Alex Russell wrote:

> The tech contact email addr is from an app search startup:
> https://www.quixey.com/
>
> I'd like to understand the financial arrangements and agreements between
> the two, in addition to understanding how URL resolution and permissions
> should work in this scenario for publicly-owned DNS registrations. Can an
> app squat on a public DNS registration if it uses this scheme?
>

> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:
>

> Hmmm You are proposing that you take over the role
> of making up new URL scheme names from the incumbents.
>
> A technical question:  Is the architecture such that if my client finds
> a new URL scheme xxx.yy with a dot in it then it should look up
> a some http://xxx.tt/appurl.json file to find out about it,
> or is it that it should consult a central registry at appurl.org ?
>
> At the moment you suggest people edit the URL registries themselves,
> but how do you suggest this work in the future?
>
> Best,
>
> Tim Berners-Lee
>
> PS: On http://appurl.org, nothing on your website says who you are.
> An anonymous group?
>

>  ______________________________________________________________
> Tim Berners-Lee  http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee
> Director, World Wide Web Consortium.   timbl@w3.org
>  +1-617-253-5702
> Prof of Engineering, Computer Science and Artificial Research Laboratory
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 32 Vassar St, Cambridge MA 02139 USA
>

> $ whois appurl.org
>
> Domain ID:D167137974-LROR
> Domain Name:APPURL.ORG
> Created On:17-Nov-2012 09:57:49 UTC
> Last Updated On:02-Aug-2013 01:20:25 UTC
> Expiration Date:17-Nov-2015 09:57:49 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com, LLC (R91-LROR)
> Status:CLIENT DELETE PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT RENEW PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
> Status:TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> Status:TRANSFERPERIOD
> Registrant ID:CR148275973
> Registrant Name:Mark Sierra
> Registrant Street1:278 Castro Street
> Registrant Street2:
> Registrant Street3:
> Registrant City:Mountain View
> Registrant State/Province:California
> Registrant Postal Code:94041
> Registrant Country:US
> Registrant Phone:+1.6502654692
> Registrant Phone Ext.:
> Registrant FAX:+1.6504343993
> Registrant FAX Ext.:
> Registrant Email:mark@quixey.com
> Admin ID:CR148275974
> Admin Name:Mark Sierra
> Admin Street1:278 Castro Street
> Admin Street2:
> Admin Street3:
> Admin City:Mountain View
> Admin State/Province:California
> Admin Postal Code:94041
> Admin Country:US
> Admin Phone:+1.6502654692
> Admin Phone Ext.:
> Admin FAX:+1.6504343993
> [...]

*Liron Shapira*, CTO
408.621.6667 | 278 Castro St, Mountain View, CA 94041