Re: New resource: Normative References to W3C Standards

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Rand McRanderson <therandshow@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, the WebIDL spec has changed numerous times over the last few
> years in ways that have forced spec writers to revise the WebIDL text they
> are using, if someone writes a WebIDL parser they should have some way to
> see that the spec whose WebIDL they are trying to parse is incompatible with
> the definition of WebIDL they are using, and in what ways it is
> incompatible.

Yes, we do run into the problem that sometimes people are not willing
to pick up specifications that need some amount of work and are
effectively obsolete at this point if you try to implement them. E.g.
if you want to support the browser XPath API you need
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/DOM_XPath to create an interoperable
implementation (the old bindings did not contain sufficient detail).
Nobody in the browser space really seems to care much for XPath
anymore so nobody wrote a better (maintained) specification.

And soon we'll have the same kind of churn with specifications that
need to obtain data from a URL. They'll currently reference HTML and
CORS most likely and will need to be updated to use
http://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/ instead. These kind of transitions
unfortunately create some amount of confusion short term, including
for implementers and developers, but long term the whole platform can
be more easily understood.

The tooling you suggest to mitigate some of this sounds nice. I wish
we had more people working on tooling around standards.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/