Re: URL work in HTML 5

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:27:21 -0400
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
CC: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

On 9/26/2012 12:06 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> Working Groups in general have historically been bad at that — it could be
> argued that they're not the right place.

Maybe in general, but there's at least one thing the HTML WG could do IMO:
they could refer to [1] in all cases as the primary specification for
writing HTML, and they should refer to [2] as the specification for
building user agents, and BTW for understanding what those user agents
will/should do with buggy "legacy" content. If for any reason [1] is
inadequate for the purpose (and I'm not saying it is), then it should
improved accordingly.

If the HTML WG took that small step of emphasizing use of [1] as the
correct reference for authors, I think it would have a significant
beneficial effect.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-author/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/