Re: URL work in HTML 5

From: Chris Weber <chris@lookout.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:11:37 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
On 9/25/2012 10:08 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> registerProtocolHandler crosses the beams, since it installs in the
> system a HTML URL-parser syntax and semantics, and removes the wall
> between system-level IRIs and HTML-level URLs.

Just adding a bit more info on this - in my testing I noted that of the
three browsers supporting registerProtocolHandler only Chrome would make
the registration at the system-level (in both Windows and Ubuntu).
Firefox and Opera registered handlers privately within the scope of the
browser, and neither IE nor Safari supported the API.  This testing was
from January 2012:
http://web.lookout.net/2012/01/testing-registerprotocolhandler-and-web.html

Best regards,
-Chris Weber