Re: URL work in HTML 5

On 25/09/2012 15:11 , Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> This seems like a classic example of what I view as a sometime breakdown
> of Postel's Law [1]. When you're "liberal" in what you consume, system
> robustness depends equally on others being "conservative" in what they
> send. This is a case where there's a lot of emphasis on documenting the
> appropriate ways of being "liberal"; it's unclear that we have in place
> the social and/or technical mechanisms to ensure that producers will be
> equally diligent in their conservatism.

I believe that the idea is that once the rules that describe processing
as it happens are written down, you write test suites that can prove
conformance. This does tend to have a strong effect, particularly if
coupled with rules about processing erroneous input.

Well-defined error handling that produces something predictable (rather
than blow up) is actually a modern and more pragmatic reformulation of
Postel, IMHO.