Re: URL work in HTML 5

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:31:51 +0200
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
On 25/09/2012 04:29 , Larry Masinter wrote:
> I think there was a group willing to consider the redefinition of
> URLs in HTML5 as a local anomaly within HTML, in a way that didnít
> really affect any other format or application.

My understanding is that Anne is working on an improved definition of
URLs because he noticed demonstrable severe interoperability issues with
tasks as deceivingly simple as parsing URLs.

Has anyone in this thread taken if only five minutes to perhaps peruse
the evidence and see if he might not have a point? I ask because I've
given it a cursory look and what I've seen is ugly.

> However, registerProtocolHandler makes it clear that HTML activities
>  affect the entire use of URIs and IRIs within anywhere in the
> system.

I might suggest refraining from crossing the beams and using the work on
URL to grind the rPH axe.