Re: Precision and error handling (was URL work in HTML 5)

Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> I might even go along with suggesting that [1] is the main
> specification for the HTML(5) >language< and perhaps that it should
> be the basis of the media type registration.

Excellent point.  My server will consume user-created HTML 5, which it
won't process with an HTML 5 parser.  It won't be creating a DOM or
caring about any APIs.  All it needs to know is the syntax of HTML 5.
While one class of consumer (browsers) may wish the media type to be
tied to the appropriate document for that need, this isn't the only
possibility for consuming HTML 5, thus the correct architectural choice
is to tie the media type to the author spec.  Otherwise an expectation
is created, that consumers accepting HTML will parse it a certain way.

-Eric