Re: ACTION-682 suggest to TAG sections of HTTPbis specification that TAG should review

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:41:24 -0400
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
CC: Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>, www-tag@w3.org

On 5/23/2012 12:43 PM, David Booth wrote:
> HTTP just shovels the bits around; the semantic web just shovels the RDF
> around.  Certainly we users may care about the meaning of those bits or
> that RDF, but the HTTP protocol and the semantic web architecture do not
> and should not.

I have some sympathy with the general thrust of your note, but here you go
a bit too far I think. HTTP does not just shovel bits; it does so as one of
a set of connected specifications that, together, allow one to say quite a
bit about the correct interpretation of those bits. What I'm referring to
is the story told in the TAG's Self-describing Web Finding [1].

I agree that http semantics don't get into deeper questions of universal
truth, but they are significantly more than shoveling bits I think.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/selfDescribingDocuments