Re: ACTION-682 suggest to TAG sections of HTTPbis specification that TAG should review

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>>FWIW I complained about a detail in section 5 of part 2  here:
>>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2012JanMar/0412.html
>>and elaborated a bit here:
>>http://odontomachus.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/when-identification-and-representation-fight-who-wins/
>>Basically I'm saying that the words "identify" and "representation of"
>>are being used in the spec as if they are meaningful, but it is very
>>difficult to see what, if anything, they mean.
>>I have not received any response.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2012JanMar/0465.html it
> seems you even replied to one and did not want much of a discussion on
> the list. Could you describe the kind of response you expected but did
> not get, especially given that you would seem to prefer to post on your
> blog rather than the IETF discussion list?

I want from the editors either a confirmation that the wording in
section 5 was really what was intended (i.e. that a representation is
*inherently* whatever you get back from a GET, as opposed to what it
would be according to some ordinary-language meaning of
"representation"), or a correction of the kind I suggested.

The reply I got was not from an editor; it was from someone who didn't
carefully read what I wrote. The blog post, and my reply to the reply,
were in my opinion redundant with the original post and not suitable
matter for discussion on that list. I didn't see this kind of
belabored exposition as helping most readers of the list, and
especially not the editors, who I expected probably understood what I
was saying the first time.

I am still expecting to hear something back from the editors, since
they've been pretty good at eventually responding to questions like
this. They're probably just overwhelmed with more important issues.

Jonathan