Re: W3C discussion of CSS prefixes

On 5/10/2012 4:04 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> I think in general that an extensibility method needs a credible
> deployment method.

+1. This was one of the concerns I raised about XML namespaces in my 2009
TPAC talk on Distributed Extensibility [1]. The good news about namespaces
is that anyone can get a namespace, and use it to deploy experimental
markup in languages like XML. The bad news is that if some of those
exerimental features start getting popular, then you find that they're
already deployed with a (fully qualified) name that's likely to be
inappropriate for widespread use. E.g. if I invent an experimental
extension to (X)HTML and deploy it in "my own" namespace, then it's clumsy
to redploy the same feature in the HTML namespace if one ever decides to
make it part of the base standard.

I agree, for CSS, Florian's proposal looks promising.

Noah

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Nov/att-0004/DecentrailzedExtensibilityandHTML_v9fixed.pdf