Re: Middle ground change proposal for httpRange-14 -- submission

Hi Kingley,

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 09:01 -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
[ . . . ]
> @prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
> <http://example/toucan> rdfs:isDefinedBy <http://example/toucan> .
>
> Should be:
>
> @prefix wdrs: <http://www.w3.org/2007/05/powder-s#> .
> <http://example/toucan> wdrs:describedby <http://example/toucan> .

To my mind, wdrs:describedby means something different, as I think it is
important to be able to distinguish between a URI definition and other
data that involves the target URI.  Here's how I explained it in the
proposal:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/UriDefinitionDiscoveryProtocol#3.2.2_Link_header
[[
Note that the "definedby" relation [which corresponds to
rdfs:isDefinedBy] does not mean the same thing as the "describedby"
relation defined in Powder[powder]. In particular, under this
specification the following hypothetical HTTP response:

  200 OK
  Link: <http://example.com/other-uri-description>; rel="describedby"

does *not* imply that a representation retrieved from
http://example.com/other-uri-description is a URI definition for the
target URI. The reason for this difference is that the URI owner may
well wish to point clients to additional useful information involving
the target URI, without implying that such information constitutes the
URI owner's URI definition for the target URI. For example, it could be
ancillary (but non-definitional) information about the identified
resource, or it could be an alternate definition authored by a third
party.
]]

--
David Booth, Ph.D.