Re: either strengthen or retract httpRange-14(a)

From: Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:13:30 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org
I would have hoped that any change proposal coming in would at least
cover the billions of RDF statements where a URI is used to refer to
the resource whose instances come from the given URI, and not just any
old information resource - for example, where there's no RDF that says
anything to the contrary. I've been harping on this inadequacy of
httpRange-14(a) for years, and repeatedly suggesting ways to fix it.
Yet the proposals haven't done this - many of them repeat the useless
"is an information resource" phrase that's in the baseline document.

The change is pretty simple, you just replace the "is an information
resource" language with your favorite formulation of "has the
retrieved representation as an instance", in those situations (if any)
where it applies.

I have not submitted this as a change proposal, since it does not
address the problem that the proposals were supposed to address
(ISSUE-57, performance and deployment of discovery). But it would be
easy to incorporate into most of the proposals submitted so far.

Jonathan