Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 20 June 2012 19:02, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>wrote:
>>
>>> I think the TAG should look at this.  It raises the general question
>>> of the architectural appropriateness of URI schemes intended only for
>>> use internally within a particular protocol.  As I understand it acct:
>>> URIs have no meaning outside messages in the proposed webfinger
>>> protocol.
>>>

>> I strongly second this. There is no reason why the "name@domain" can not
>> be just handled as a string to be parsed to get the domain and then do a
>> lookup in SWD/WebFinger. An additional URI scheme in front does not really
>> help the algorithm, as it doesn't need to distinguish between SMTP-enabled
>> names@domains (mailto:) and those that don't/may not ("acct:").
>>
>> Thus, as "acct:" is not attached to any concrete functionality beyond
>> SMTP (as it does not normatively state state that such as account should be
>> SWD/Webfinger-enabled) AND may even overlap with mailto: names@domains,
>> I don't really see the point. . If we go back to the world where every new
>> application needs a new URI scheme, something has gone wrong.
>>

> FWIW I 100% agree with you
>
> However this was not the gist of the argument over at IETF
>
> WebFinger should be general purpose discovery.
>
> General purpose discovery based on a URI.

*Any* URI. Then why get a new URI scheme?

> Now there's no mechanism in XRD to look something up based on the object
> of <foo> <bar>  <mailto:user@host>
>
> Only to look things up based on ?resource=<foo>
>
> This has made an implicit translation from mailto:user@host (object) ->
> acct:user@host (subject) desirable.

This seems to be an XRD issue, not a reason for a new URI scheme. I mean,
XRD has legacy connections to XRI as sort of URI-ish scheme regardless.

> SWD looked up based on mailto:
>
> Webfinger based on the @subject of an XRD doc.  IIRC subject is mandated
> in the xml schema.
>
> Now webfinger was designed for smtp, but after 3 years of feature creep
> the folloing 2 schemes came into play:
>
> SIP
>
> XMPP - but xmpp already has its own discovery.
>
> Next the idea was that twitter might want to use  acct:harry@twitter.comas an account identifier (they didnt ask for this) but people argue it
> could be useful to identify things in this way.

If Twitter didn't ask for this, I don't see why it should be needed for
WebFinger/SWD to go forward.