Re: "Publishing and Linking": roles of intermediaries

In the US employment contracts are strongly biased towards the employer.
You can be fired for any reason - except for racial or sexual discrimination.
Moreover, many employer contracts have anti-defamation clauses such as
the quote from the boss: “Freedom Communications, Inc.’s Associate Handbook/Confidentiality and Proprietary Rights policy prohibits you from posting disparaging or defamatory … statements about the company or its business interests, but you should also avoid social media communications that might be misconstrued in a way that could damage the company’s goodwill and business reputation, even indirectly.”
So, I would argue that the company is entirely within its right to put the employee on leave or even fire him.
All the best, Ashok