Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:55:18 +0100
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On 2012-01-19 20:37, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> On 1/19/2012 11:41 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Well except that there are quite a few developers, yours truly included,
>> who really want this functionality. In fact, as indicated earlier, I
>> find that some parts of it don't go anywhere near far enough.
>
> Robin: I'd be grateful if you could explain why using URI templates, or
> something similar, to pattern match on existing URIs isn't preferable to
> matching on URIs matching a special "web+" pattern. The drawbacks to
> web+ seem to include:
>
> * Encourages or even requires people to use new schemes, when other
> schemes might otherwise have been applicable (seems to be at odds with
> the admonition in AWWW that creation of new URI schemes is strongly
> discouraged [1]).
>
> * Seems to put the decision as to what client will be used in the wrong
> place, I.e. with the person or organization that coins the identifier.
> It should IMO generally be possible to have both Web and native apps
> handle a given identifier, to change one's mind after the fact, etc. If
> documents are full of links to "web+xxx:....." URIs, then lots of
> existing mechanism on the Web doesn't work with them (useless in agents
> that don't know of the new scheme), and you've committed to a naming
> convention just because, at this point in time, you think people will be
> using Web-based implementations.

Also, overloading names doesn't scale. See
<http://www.mnot.net/blog/2011/08/24/distributed_hungarian_notation_doesnt_work>.

Best regards, Julian