Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:13:43 +0100
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On 2012-01-19 19:00, David Booth wrote:

+1

> What other options are being considered?
>
> It just seems to me -- if I've understood correctly -- that what's
> really going on here is that the new URI scheme would be created
> specifically for a particular class of handlers, when to my mind a URI
> scheme should be handler-neutral.  Otherwise we would be creating
> parallel universes of URI schemes (e.g., foo: and web+foo).
>
> If I've misunderstood, please set me straight.  I definitely do not
> fully understand this proposed HTML5 feature, so I may have got it all
> wrong.

Basically, the spec reserves special semantics for infinite number of
new schemes, but doesn't want to deal with the maintenance.

Instead (stealing an idea mentioned earlier), it could simply define a
new URI scheme "web", and manage that namespace itself. At least that
would contain the effects of this experiment.

Best regards, Julian