Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:43:47 -0500
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: "\"Martin J." Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 22:10 -0500, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> . . . Let's say I author a
> Web page, and to make it easy for you to email me, I include a link to
> mailto:nrm@arcanedomain.com.  You read my page, and click on the link, and
> you've explained why as a (hypothetical) Webmail user you'd want your new,
> smart HTML5 Web browser to invoke the Webmail Web app to compose the
> e-mail.

And that could be easily done by providing a browser configuration
option to tell it to use web mail at a particular URI instead of some
non-web-based email client, without any need for a new URI scheme.

Similarly, if a user wants to have a particular web site handle a
particular kind of content for them, that could also be a browser
option, just as browser plugins are already configured to handle
particular kinds of content.  Again, I don't see any need for a new URI
scheme for this.

Is there more rationale for this that I missed?

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

reflect those of his employer.