ACTION-642: With help from Larry to propose plan to liaise with PLH to register HTML media type

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:09:45 +0000
To: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Hi,

To complete ACTION-642 (with many thanks to Larry):

 There is currently no direct path, following definitional specifications,
 from an HTML document to the specs for extensions such as microdata or RDFa.
 The goal is to ensure there is such a path to "applicable
 specifications".

 We will work with PLH, in consultation with the HTML WG, to create a
 W3C-sponsored registry of applicable HTML extensions and their
 specifications. The W3C-sponsored registry might also include references
 to other registries of applicable specifications maintained by other
 groups and organizations.

 Once the basics and location of the registry is settled, we will work to
 ensure that this registry is referenced within revised Internet Media Type
 registrations for text/html and application/html+xml.

 This will allow a direct chain ("follow-your-nose") from content-type labels
 to the set of specifications covering the expected behavior of applications
 attempting to interpret data with that label.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison