persistence of DNS names without new top level domain

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:35:10 -0800
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Comments on minutes http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2012/01/04-minutes#item01

(s/what/what/)

Re:
<masinter> Doesn't ISOC run .org? Maybe just asking ISOC to offer some persistence guarantees for organizations that meet some persistence criteria?

Note: I don't know where I got the idea that part of ISOC funding came from running some top level domain.  In any case, whether it is .org or   .net or something else and whoever runs it:

The main point was to question the idea that getting a new top-level domain for "persistent" names was necessary or helpful.... you could just pick some existing TLD in a position to offer a different service level agreement.

For a persistent namespace, you want a "forest lawn" contract -- like when you buy a cemetery plot or a cryogenics contract -- you want the provider of service to offer "forever" maintenance of the namespace you're getting, under circumstances that neither of you can predict.