review requested - httpRange-14 amendment process baseline document

From: Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 07:35:35 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org
As a (I hope) final step before asking for "httpRange-14 resolution"
amendment proposals, I'm asking for general review of:

  Understanding URI Hosting Practice as Support for Documentation Discovery

which attempts to capture the status quo.

At this point I'm looking for editorial suggestions that will help
create a solid baseline for the process that will follow - you may not
agree with what is there but I would like everyone to be on the same
page regarding what it is that we're changing, and I'd like to
establish a conceptual framework that can also be used by other

The following process (after this short round of review) will start, I
hope, with a few people submitting change proposals, and eventually
lead to consensus on an amended document to replace the "httpRange-14

This email is NOT a change proposal call for the issue itself, that
comes a bit later. The process pedantry is because I'm trying to head
off potential difficulties and make the process orderly, given the ten
year history of confusion and acrimony.

Please submit reviews by this Thursday 16 February before I post the
call for change proposals. Sorry for the short notice but there will
be plenty of chance to be heard later on as well if you can't get to
your review right now.

For more information on process, overall plan, context etc. see
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/defininguris-2012-02-11 .

(Tracker: ISSUE-57, ACTION-648)