Re: Installing web apps

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:23:39 +0000
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-webapps@w3.org, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
Hi Tim,

On Wednesday, 1 February 2012 at 16:42, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Note that when people talk about installation, they often immediately discuss
> packaging and manifest formats, which will need to be defined,

Um… we have a REC for that, remember?

http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
> and for which
> we might have more than one, but is not the crux of the issue -- the crux is
> allowing it access to precious and/or sensitive resources.

Wow, I'm *really* doub-founded (yet) again. Tim, are my emails going to your spam folder or something? Or are you deliberately just ignoring the widget work the W3C already invested 6 years on? We already solved all this stuff in the Widgets specs. I don't know why you keep ignoring them?

Please go and read:

http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetSpecs

Please see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#the-feature-element-and-its-attributes

Please see projects like PhoneGap and WAC (that make use of W3C widgets to enable device APIs):

http://phonegap.com/
http://specs.wacapps.net/

--
Marcos Caceres