Re: Google Maps URL Scheme

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:30:33 +0900
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>

Le 14 déc. 2012 à 16:26, Paul Libbrecht a écrit :
> I wonder if that is something everyone wants but it's clear at least (using this basically means you want a vendor lock-in!).
> (in the current situation on iOS, it seems desired by users).

Another interpretation is that they have been forced to come up with a proprietary url scheme because iOS doesn't allow/enable the handling of URL schemes/app association.

For example, when receiving an email with http on iOS, you can't send it automagically to Opera Mini.
Users don't have choices on iOS.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
Developer Relations, Opera Software