Re: Form of proportional representation

On 12/12/2012 05:09 , Brian Kardell wrote:
> That sounds entirely sane to me, someone without a vote at all, as a
> good starting point :)  However, in the future it would actually be nice
> IMO if the public (say, anyone with a w3c account) could cast a weighted
> vote such that some number of us amounts one member org vote (probably
> easily calculated to prevent to chaos by the fact that the number of
> member orgs and the number of w3c accounts are known quantities).
>
> If the Web belongs to all of us, it might be nice if we had some degree
> of consideration given to the collective voices of those of us who
> cannot afford the poll tax :)

I heartily agree. While the AC electing the AB makes some sense (and
even then I think there could be some community seats), it's the wrong
constituency to elect the TAG. There have been proposals for broader
electoral reforms (notably giving differently weighed votes to AC,
chairs, team, group participants, CGs, etc.). I don't know if there
would be strong opposition; at this point I think the primary reason why
no such idea has gone much farther is because it hasn't been high enough
on anyone's list of priorities to get a champion.

Then again there are also proposals to just make the TAG a
self-selecting set and just turn it into a CG. That might be simpler :)