Re: FYI, tag election links

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 16:54:46 +0100
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 11/12/2012 16:24 , Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> I think Larry gives an excellent summary of the recent past. In the
> early days, when the TAG was just setting down the "Architecture of the
> World Wide Web", I think there tended to be strong slates in contested
> elections, and (my impression) reasonably good participation by the AC
> in voting.  I haven't researched, but that's what I recall.

I won't cite any numbers but I don't see a strong correlation between
how disputed the election is (in number of contestants, assuming that's
a decent measure) and turnout. The latter can indeed fluctuate a fair
bit (almost 3x from peak to trough) but is overall decent as elections go.

This is by far the most contested election (again, in number of
contestants), and is getting more coverage than elections have since the
very first ones, so I would hope for higher-than-usual turnout.

It's certainly exciting to see interest (re)kindled here!

PS: contrary to what Larry seemed to think, my past experience as an AC
rep is that there is a fair amount of electioneering going on, albeit
more of the discreet kind. I much prefer the open approach seen so far
in this campaign.