Re: TAG Nominees: what say you?

On 12/5/2012 10:19 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:> On 11/12/12 12:24 PM, ext
Robin Berjon wrote:
 >> So my question is, without deep-diving into electoral details: would
 >> people here be happy if we were to invite candidates in the upcoming TAG
 >> election to post their priorities and plans here, as well as answer
 >> questions the community might ask of them?

Writing as chair but not having consulted other TAG members: I would rather
that the community, the AC, and W3C management decide whether candidates
should be encouraged or even required to do so, but it's in any case fine
with me if candidates wish to use the www-tag list to discuss their
priorities, aspirations for the TAG etc.

I will also say that one thing I always encourage candidates and newly
elected members to do is to study and understand how the TAG came to make
its choices on what to work on, how to run its affairs, etc. For example,
it's very useful in my experience for candidates to carefully study the TAG
charter [1], so they will know which "priorities and plans" they might
advocate are consistent with our current charter, and which would require a
change of charter. Other resources include our current work plan [2], open
actions [3], and most recent status report [4] (I owe the community an
update, which I'm hoping to do soon, after my teaching load eases).

I am always available to chat with non-incumbent candidates (or other
members of the community) who may be interested in learning how the TAG
came to it's current mode of operation and its current list of technical
priorities. I expect that many other TAG members would be glad to do the
same, and to offer their own opinions.

>> I wouldn't anticipate that it would translate to massive amounts of traffic, but I do think that what traffic it would generate would be high quality.
>
> Among the subjects I would like to hear from the TAG nominees: why are you running, what should the TAG's priorities be (short-term 1H-2013 and longer term), what specific tasks do you commit to addressing.

I think this is mostly fine, but for the record, the TAG sets its
priorities by consensus among TAG members, and failing that by looking for
near-consensus. So, in my opinion, it would not be appropriate for an
incoming TAG member to "commit to addressing" anything. It's of course fine
for them to commit to strongly encouraging the TAG to address something.

Thank you.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/27-tag-charter.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/